Wednesday, August 02, 2006

 

I Love the 90s (Music)

The Nineties were my adolescence- I mean really, I turned ten at the end of 1989 and twenty at the end of 1999, and I have a lot of affection for the music from that decade. So here are some videos I love from back in the day.

1. Lemonheads- Confetti
It's a Shame About Ray was the shit when I was in middle school. I think I like Ben Deily better than Evan as a Lemonheads frontman/songwriter, but I still love Evan's goofy drugged-up ass.

2. Sloan- 500 Up
This may be my favorite video of the 90s. And maybe my favorite ever. And it's Sloan. Here's something you may not know about me: Patrick Pentland (the guy singing lead for most of this song) heavily influenced my attraction template. To this day, if a guy looks like him, I'll automatically be attracted to that guy.

3. Dambuilders- Shrine
Yay, sticks as guns. I don't know who these "Rock Video" people are, but I'm hoping they just had their spellcheck on autocorrect when they were putting the chyron on this video, because there's no excuse for spelling the album name wrong. It's Encendedor, not Encoder, assholes.

4. Snoop Doggy Dogg- Gin and Juice
No, kids, it's not a typo, there used to be a "Doggy" in the man's name. I think everyone who watched MTV around 1994 can recite the dialogue from this video. "Snoop Doggy Dogg, you need to get a jobby job."

5. Primus-Wynona's Big Brown Beaver
I miss the days when MTV played fun videos. Now everybody's either mopey or trying to show off how rich and/or sexy they are. The guys in the band looked like those characters from the Duracell commercials that were running at about the same time, The Puttermans.

6. Shudder To Think- X-French Tee Shirt
::Does happy dance that somebody finally put this up. Reminds self to upgrade to satellite package that has VH1 Classic:: It's the video that got me into Shudder To Think, which got me into Pony Express Record, which got me into all their other stuff, and made me want to keep up with Craig's and Nathan's (warning: site automatically plays audio and will rock your ass) post-S2T stuff. And I'm sure the DVD will be out someday. RIght, Marc? If you've heard my cell phone ring, you've heard this song.

7. Nirvana- Sliver
Well of course there's a Nirvana song in my Nineties post. I just really love this song and video. Anytime someone includes "mashed potatoes" in their lyrics, I'm down with it. And, seriously, who would have thought that 15 years later Dave Grohl would be the most commercially successful member of Nirvana?

8. Alanis Morissette- You Oughta Know
Speaking of the Foo Fighters, there's Taylor Hawkins! Moody teenage girls everywhere, myself included, were all over this shit.

9. Odds- Heterosexual Man
I heart the Odds, and the Kids in the Hall. So of course I love them together.

10. Nine Inch Nails- Closer
Best video of the Nineties, hands down. It's also better than "Thriller." Yes, I said it. Thriller is overrated.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?